Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Well, I started this and I haven't written anything for several weeks. Sometimes I really wonder if anyone is interested in the 'goings on' in other people's lives and I wonder if there is really anything great to write about. Most of life is just maintenance, watering the yard and garden, cleaning, laundry, cooking and dishes. That's what life is made of but occasionally there are wonderful bright spots that make everything else worth while. I'll try to fill in a few of those that have happened recently.

Last Saturday morning David, Sam and I went up to our wards scout camp. We were going to ride our bicycles from Lake Cleveland all the way home. It would help provide the boys with a 25 mile bike ride that was pretty easy because it is mostly downhill. We had a great start, except for when I forgot to unclip my shoes on a gravel hill and when I came to a dead stop I fell right over and smacked my heat on the ground! I know it must have looked really funny and then David, in all his wisdom, remarked how he has biked enough to have unclipping become second nature. (I really laughed when he fell over 1 mile from our house when he forgot to unclip!) The best part of the whole trip was Jade Larsen. He is a young man with a heart condition and has had at least 2 open heart surgeries, the last one being almost a year ago when they put in a pig valve and several synthetic patches to repair his heart. He was so young when they did the first surgery to save his life that, because the size of the area they were working on was so small, they accidentally cut one of the nerves and now his heart beats twice then skips a beat. Jade was going to ride with us for the downhill portion but his dad really wanted him to put his bike in the back of the truck and drive to the top of the Albion grade and then ride his bike the rest of the way home. Jade wanted to ride the whole way. He already knew that he couldn't keep up with the other kids, but he wanted to do it. I think the climb is 2 miles long and just a steady grade so David and I told him how to shift into a low gear and just keep peddling at an easy pace. He was amazing! He kept a steady pace and stopped and rested when he needed to and when he reached the top, his fist went into the air and you could feel his elation! That was a great feeling. I was impressed by his determination and his fighting spirit!

There are several things that are bringing me such joy right now. I am so excited for the Twin Falls Temple Celebration and Dedication coming the end of August. I get so happy just thinking about it. I'm lucky to be directing our youth choir from Declo Stake. There are 60 choir members and they will participate in a choir of over 700 youth from 14 stakes. We've had so much fun learning the music (6 songs) and preparing. I love our youth from our stake and have enjoyed getting to work and play (The Declo fire department came last week and sprayed everyone to cool us off.) with them and getting to know them better. I've also been making costumes for this production and that had been so much fun. Madisen, Max and Kelsey are dancing and Eliza and Abigail are singing with the choir. Eliza made an audio/visual presentation to help me teach the youth an original song that was written for this production. Our general director was at our practice the night we used it and she loved it so much, we're re-making it in a higher resolution to be shown on the large 9'X12' LED screens that the church is sending to us to use! I'm also thrill to be directing one of the dedication choirs. It is very humbling and I feel so inadequate. I hope our offering will be beautiful and full of the spirit for this special occasion.

Other bright spots I have enjoyed lately are, working in the garden with the kids, fresh peas & lettuce & chard, a silly dog, watching the kids get pulled on the tube in the river, watching Eliza be Dorothy, a visit from Beka and Eric, Honey's great grilling and several other things. Life is good.

Along with bright spots in life come sad times too and the loss of my brother Harry has been a very sad spot for me. I grew up with him and knew him when addiction was not a part of his life. I knew his brightness and uninhibited joy as a young boy, and saw glimpses of his true self occasionally. I'm left with the thought, "I wish........" and I do wish so many things had been different; that he could have been able to find happiness, peace, love, success. I wish he could have realized his amazing talent and potential, we all saw amazing gifts he had. I wish he could have enjoyed his children more. I hope he knew how much I loved him. I hope he has finally found the peace he didn't have in this life. And I say along with Brandon and all my family, "Goodbye for now, Harry. We love you."

2 comments:

Brenlyn said...

Hi Kim and family,
It will be fun to follow your blog. Thanks for letting us know about it!

Ray and Donna Hamblin said...

Yes, thanks Kim for letting us know about your blog. It's hard to keep up with all of them -- our kids: Kristi, Trisha, Clint, Jaron & Heather, Elder Jacob, and others have blogs (& us too). Maybe we'll get to catch up on each other now & then. Ours is: wwwhamblinmission.blogspot.com and we're linked to most of the others. Thanks for yours!
Aunt Donna